Mon, Aug 14, 2017
Company Meeting
Listen to Live Dispatch
and Fireground Operations
from the Sussex County
Emergency Operations
Center
Emergencies:
Dial 9-1-1
Milton Fire Department
Station 85
116 Front Street
Milton, DE 19968

Phone: 302.684.8500
Fax: 302.684.0202


After the “Great Fire of 1909” the men regrouped and went on. On January 28, 1916, a re-organizational meeting was held and new officers elected. Charles A. Virden elected President, Frank B. Carey elected Vice President, Leon Black as Secretary, Joseph M. Lank as Treasurer, and Samuel Fithian as Fire Chief. The year 1921 brought to the fire service an organization that represents the fire service today as the leader on all issues that face us known as the DVFA, the Delaware Volunteer Firemen’s Association,which is now 60 volunteer fire departments strong. Milton Fire Department has also been involved heavily in the DVFA from the first formation meeting that took place in Milford’s Fire Station with just seven departments at that time. Samuel Banning & Samuel Fifthin represented Milton’s interest on that historic day.

In 1925 Milton Fire Department ordered a new American LaFrance 500 gallon pumper fire engine, This was the first motorized piece which our membership is proud to still have today. The truck arrived in early 1926 the year it was titled.

In 1928 the Volunteer Fire Company of Milton incorporated and changed its name to Milton Fire Department, Inc., under the administration of President Charles Barker, who served for 25 years as President, and Chief Floyd Hurley. In 1930 another 500 gallon pumper was added and shortly afterwards a third truck was purchased. This enabled the fire company to answer calls in the country and still leave a truck home for local fire protection. 1932 brought a new Chief, Louis Victor Spencer. Mr. Spencer held his post for the next 38 years. 1937 brought a new young Treasurer, Linwood “Jim” Rogers who held his office for 41 years and in 1978 asked the department to replace him. Denny Hughes was selected as Rogers’ replacement and still holds the office today, 23 years later.

In 1939 Milton Fire Department had its own fire with a fire that destroyed many important archives and minute books of the era.

During the war years the Ladies had to pick up the hoses while most of their men were away serving their country. The Auxiliary has been organized several times over the years, but organized or not, they were always by the men, raising much needed money, having dinners, feeding their men at fires and performing any other duty needed.

In 1942, a 1,000 gallon tank wagon was added and in 1943 a second tank joined the collection. In 1946 came a Ward LaFrance 1,200 gallon pumper.

In 1948, Milton Fire Department added another service new to our town, the Ambulance. The first Ambulance was purchased from Ellendale Fire Co. A Cadillac which had the first call on its arriving day. Tom Hughes and William Spencer took that inaugural run from the first fire station that was only a single garage with swing open front doors located at the corner of Magnolia and Union Streets were the Town of Milton Sign sets now.

Milton was now a growing town in Sussex County and with that growth the fire department purchased the FOX Theatre and an adjoining building on Union Street.


Displaying 3-3 of 4 History
< 1 ¦ 2 ¦ 3 ¦ 4 >

Currently :

68o


few clouds
Wind Speed: 9.66 mph

Help Us make a difference
in your community! Make
a tax deductible donation
to the Milton Fire Department
today, and help us to keep
saving life and property.

Visits Today: 130

Visitors Online: 26

Total Visits: 627,253

Most Visitors Online: 1629 on May 15, 2017

Most Visitors in One Day: 3603 on May 2, 2017